When you work in human resources, it is a good idea to keep your skills sharp and learn what you need to about working with people in a business environment. If you are interested in learning more about human resources, or if you just want to hone your skills as a human resources manager, here are 50 free open courseware classes about human resources.
Business Organizations and Human Resources Management
- Training and Human Resources Development: UC Irvine offers a helpful course on human resources, and even allows you to tailor your training to your own needs.
- Individuals, Groups and Organizations: This MIT course helps you understand different dynamics in business environments.
- Human resources: recruitment and selection: The Open University offers a helpful look at human resources, and how to recruit for a business organization.
- Human Resources for Health: Helpful information and more from this resource that looks at human resources in health business organizations.
- Strategic HR Management: Get a handle on strategy for better managing human resources in business organizations.
- Organizational Processes: Learn the basics of business organization, and how it works.
- People and Organizations: Studies the evolution of current organizational cultures. Helpful for a number of HR professionals in a variety of fields.
- Managing Organizational Change: This Harvard lecture offers an interesting insight into how to lead through changes in organizations.
- Managing projects through people: Learn how to more effectively manage people and their projects.
Business Policy and Law
- Urban Labor Markets and Employment Policy: Learn about urban labor policy, and get some policy ideas.
- Labor Economics: Get a basic overview of the economics behind labor to understand how the system works.
- Industrial Organization and Public Policy: Learn how public policy works in terms of industrial organization and business practices.
- Power: Interpersonal, Organizational and Global Dimensions: Considers different aspects of power that can help as you work to set HR policy.
- Human rights and law: Understand the basic look at human rights, and law related to work.
- Company law in contect: The Open University provides a helpful look at the nature of business, and of business law.
- Law for the Entrepreneur and Manager: MIT offers this course as a way to help you understand the basic legal issues faced by companies.
- Theories of Public Policy: Tufts University includes interesting insights on public policy, which can be useful for the human resources manager.
- Frameworks of Urban Governance: A helpful look at how urban areas are governed, providing insights that can be used for corporate policy.
- Corporate Governance: This course from Connexions offers insight into how corporate governance works, and the ethics behind it.
- Business Ethics: Get insight into how business ethics work, and how to promote them.
- Creating an ethical organization: The Open University takes you through the steps you can take to promote ethical practices in the organizational environment.
- Literature, Ethics and Authority: MIT provides a look at how you can share ethical norms with those in your organization.
- The Case for Sustainable Businesses: Gresham College shares insights on the ethics of working toward sustainability.
- Ethical Practice: Professionalism, Social Responsibility, and the Purpose of the Corporation: Another MIT course, this one looks at the basics of ethical practice for business.
- Ethics: Western Governors University offers a basic look at ethics.
- Introduction to Business: This provides a basic overview, from Kaplan University, of what business is about and touches on ethics.
- Negotiation and Conflict Management: Consider different situations and strategies for overcoming conflict in business settings.
- Building and Leading Effective Teams: MIT looks at how you can create effective teams of employees.
- Making and using rules: Get an idea of how to develop rules and regulations for business settings.
- Managing relationships: Another offering from The Open University, this course is designed to help you learn how to more effectively work with others.
- Giving and Receiving Feedback: BBC Academy offers this helpful course on how you can better give feedback — and what to do with feedback that is provided to you.
- Leading Organizations: Get a handle on the importance of leadership, and how to inspire people.
- Leadership Development: Another course focused on helping you become a better leader.
- Strategic view of performance: Learn about how you can encourage better performance from business employees.
- Managerial Psychology: Learn theories of behavior, and how to apply them, from MIT.
- Emotional Intelligence: Connexions offers this course on understanding emotion and applying it to your interactions with others.
- Power Play: Learn about the dynamics of power and how it is used in this course from Gresham College.
- Does attractiveness rule the world?: Another offering from Gresham College, this course looks at the effect that attractiveness has on behavior.
- Entrepreneurial behaviour: The Open University offers a course on the traits and behaviors that mark entrepreneurs.
- Management Theory: The University of Tokyo offers a course that helps you learn about management, and how it relates to behavior.
- Appearance and Human Behavior: Learn about how human appearance can affect behavior from this course at Korea University.
- Political Behavior: This course from MIT offers an interesting look at political behavior. It has applications in business as well.
- Developmental Psychology: Get an overview of how human behavior develops from UC Berkeley.
- Business Communications in the Age of Spin: Learn about how business communication works.
- How to Conduct a Meeting in an Intercultural Setting: Techniques for communicating effectively with an intercultural group.
- Communicating With Data: An overview of how data can help you make better decisions.
- Introduction to business cultures: Learn about different cultures of business, and how to communicate within them.
- Toolkit: Internal Communications: This helpful course at the Open Courseware Consortium offers a look at how to communicate more effectively on an internal basis.
- Communicating in Cyberspace: Learn how to communicate online, and how to be more effective in an online environment.
- Intro to Tech Communication: Learn about technical writing, and how to produce proper reports.